Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In the money.



This past weekend I decided to take the drive up to Schenectady NY, for the #2 Race in the NYCROSS series. I'm not trying to do well in the NY State events or anything, I just wanted to race. Since the 2+ hour drive was the closest of the Mid Atlantic races I thought "what the hell?"

Together with the "Twins," I drove up for the Men's B Race and decided to register for the Men's Pro event which was a Pro/2/3 field. The course was fun, and even though I was expecting tons of mud, it turned out to be very dry. Kinda surprising considering it had been raining for 3 days prior and as we drove up.


The B race hosted a field of 36, and it was my second B race as an official Cat. 3. The start was great and I quickly led for a
bout half a lap. However my cornering skills are not where they should be and I was quickly passed. Held strong for 9th place.

After a 30 minute nap I suited up for the Men's Pro race, and even though if this was a real field I would have no business toeing the line... With only 13 racers, and some of them having raced earlier that day I figured it would be good training. Gun goes off and I just kept moving. 5th gear just wasn't there and I rode steady to take 9th again.


Here's the strange part.
It turns out that the Payout ran 10 deep and I got handed an envelope with cash?! Yea. I actually won money! I'm not going to lie... this was the first time I won money for racing, and it felt really good. Man. I need to log some more miles and get my upgrade so I can always race for cash!
A big conrats to Lisban and Alejandro on taking the win's in the Men's B and Pro fields... not to shabby for their first cross race! See you all next weekend at Westwood Velo Cross and Hill Billy 3.0!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Dear Blake,

Nice job, my man.

What's up w/ the Rapha kit?

Love,

Mark

BlakeSKI said...

Thanks....

The rapha kit is just nice so I wore it. Nothing more.

Don said...

just found this post... congratulations, man!